- Sebastian as: Chris Beck
- Written by: Drew Goddard, Andy Weir
- Directed by: Ridley Scott
- Film Genre: Adventure | Drama | Sci-Fi
- Run Time: 2 hour 24 minutes
- Selected Cast: Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels, Michael Peña, Kate Mara, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kristen Wiig
- Theater Release: (USA)
- Filming Locations: Budapest, Hungary | Jordan | Texas, USA
During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive. Millions of miles away, NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring “the Martian” home, while his crewmates concurrently plot a daring, if not impossible, rescue mission. As these stories of incredible bravery unfold, the world comes together to root for Watney’s safe return.
- Shooting schedules were so specific that Kate Mara and Sebastian Stan would arrive on set before sunrise and leave after the sun had already set, they applied this “isolation” to help with their characters during filming.
- Mark Watney makes several comments about flying around like Iron Man near the end of the film. Sebastian Stan, who plays Beck, also plays Bucky Barnes from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and fights against Iron Man in Captain America: Civil War (2016).