- Sebastian as: Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier
- Written by: Christopher Markus (screenplay), Stephen McFeely (screenplay)
- Directed by: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
- Film Genre: Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi
- Run Time: 136 minutes
- Theater Release: April 4th, 2014 (USA)
- DVD Release: September 9th, 2014 (USA)
- Filming Locations: Los Angeles, CA | Cleveland, Ohio
For Steve Rogers, awakening after decades of suspended animation involves more than catching up on pop culture; it also means that this old school idealist must face a world of subtler threats and difficult moral complexities. That becomes clear when Director Nick Fury is killed by the mysterious assassin, the Winter Soldier, but not before warning Rogers that SHIELD has been subverted by its enemies. When Rogers acts on Fury’s warning to trust no one there, he is branded as a traitor by the organization. Now a fugitive, Captain America must get to the bottom of this deadly mystery with the help of the Black Widow and his new friend, The Falcon. However, the battle will be costly for the Sentinel of Liberty, with Rogers finding enemies where he least expects them while learning that the Winter Soldier looks disturbingly familiar.
- During filming, Sebastian Stan would walk around all day practicing his moves with a plastic knife because he wanted his movements to feel natural.
- To prepare for the role of the Winter Soldier, Sebastian Stan went through five months of physical training and historical research: “I dove into the whole Cold War history: I looked at the KGB. I looked at all kinds of spy movies, and all kinds of documentaries about that time, and what it was about. I grabbed anything from that time period and anything about brainwashing.”
- Sebastian Stan is contracted for nine films but according to him, when production for this film began he was not told of anything of which films he will be incorporated. Stan only realized he was playing the title role of Winter Soldier when the title was formally revealed in San Diego Comic Con 2013.
- The mask of Winter Soldier is exactly opposite to the mask of Captain America, just like Cap’s image. Winter Soldier’s mask covers his lower face and reveals his eyes, where Cap’s cover his eyes and reveals his lower face.
- The Winter Soldier only lands a total of 9 hits in the entire film with his metal arm: 1 punch on Cap in the street fight, 1 backhand on the doctor fixing his arm, and 7 hits on Cap in the final fight, all of which are hits Cap let him land. All of his other strikes are either blocked or with his non-metal arm. Like Cap, he uses his metal arm like a shield, mainly to block.
- The Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes) is able to match Captain America (Steve Rogers) move by move, even to the point of catching Rogers’ shield. This foreshadows Barnes taking over as Captain America (which happened in the comics).
- The Winter Soldier does not appear until 32 minutes into the movie.
Steve Rogers: Bucky?
The Winter Soldier: Who the hell is Bucky?
The Winter Soldier: There was a man… I knew him…
Steve Rogers: You know me.
The Winter Soldier: No, I don’t!
Steve Rogers: Bucky, you’ve known me your entire life. Your name is James Buchanan Barnes…
The Winter Soldier: SHUT UP!
Steve Rogers: I’m not gonna fight you. You’re my friend.
[drops his shield]
The Winter Soldier: [Lunges at Steve and repeatedly pummels him] You’re my mission! YOU ARE MY MISSION!
Steve Rogers: [bruised and bloodied just as the Winter Soldier is about to deblockquotever a final blow] Then finish it. ‘Cause I’m with you ’til the end of the line.