- Sebastian as: James Buchanan ‘Bucky’ Barnes
- Written by: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
- Directed by: Joe Johnston
- Film Genre: Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi
- Run Time: 2 hour 04 minutes
- Selected Cast: Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Samuel L. Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones, Dominic Cooper, Hayley Atwell
- Theater Release: July 22nd, 2011 (USA)
- Filming Locations: California, New York, & England
It is 1942, America has entered World War II, and sickly but determined Steve Rogers is frustrated at being rejected yet again for military service. Everything changes when Dr. Erskine recruits him for the secret Project Rebirth. Proving his extraordinary courage, wits and conscience, Rogers undergoes the experiment and his weak body is suddenly enhanced into the maximum human potential. When Dr. Erskine is then immediately assassinated by an agent of Nazi Germany’s secret HYDRA research department (headed by Johann Schmidt, a.k.a. the Red Skull), Rogers is left as a unique man who is initially misused as a propaganda mascot; however, when his comrades need him, Rogers goes on a successful adventure that truly makes him Captain America, and his war against Schmidt begins.
- To prepare for his role as Bucky, Sebastian Stan watched many World War II films/documentaries, and drew inspiration from Band of Brothers (2001).
- Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan are about the same height. A camera trick (not CGI) made Captain America looks much taller than Bucky Barnes.
- Sebastian Stan was considered for the role of Captain America, but got the role of Bucky instead.
- The sniper rifle Bucky uses to save Cap is a modified 1941 Johnson rifle, which was adopted in limited numbers by the US Marine Corps.
Steve Rogers: Where are we going?
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: The future.
[talking about Steve taking the Super-Soldier formula]
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: Did it hurt?
Steve Rogers: A little.
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: Is this permanent?
Steve Rogers: So far.
[Steve finds Bucky strapped to a table in one of Schmidt’s testing labs and quickly releases him from it]
Steve Rogers: It’s me. It’s Steve.
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: [groggily] Steve?
Steve Rogers: Come on.
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: Steve.
Steve Rogers: I thought you were dead.
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: [aware of Steve’s new size] I thought you were smaller.
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: [discovering Steve is taller] What happened to you?
Steve Rogers: I joined the Army.
Johann Schmidt: No matter what lies Erskine told you, you see, I was his greatest success!
[Schmidt removes his face mask and reveals his face as the Red Skull to Steve and Bucky]
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: [to Steve] You don’t have one of those, do you?
Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I’m following him.
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: But you’re keeping the outfit, right?
Steve Rogers: You know what? It’s kinda grown on me.
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: [looking down a long and steep zip line they’ll soon be traveling] Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone on Coney Island?
Steve Rogers: Yeah, and I threw up?
James ‘Bucky’ Barnes: This isn’t payback, is it?
Steve Rogers: [grinning] Now why would I do that?